Sunday, September 26, 2010

Fall Brunch

The weather has really been weird this year. Just when I think it is going to get cooler, it warms way up. But the trees think it is getting to be fall, so it must be going to happen.

Brunch is served!
So this weekend, my yoga teacher was out of town, and our friend Julie has decided to take a break from choir, so it seemed like a good time to gather  for a  fall brunch. I decided to make a Spanish Frittata: eggs, Monterey Jack cheese, Anaheim peppers, stewed tomatoes, and cooked onions. I thought this might be a little too spicy, but it wasn't. I should have used even more peppers. I served it with "Rachero Sauce" -- 2 cans of stewed tomatoes plus one can of Rotel tomatoes, and sauteed onion. I use the same sauce for Chili Rellanos.


Potatoes Ala "The Corner"
The fried potatoes were my version of fried potatoes we used to eat at a restaurant in Kansas City, MO called 'The Corner." (Sadly, I just learned that The Corner closed last February. And judging from the reviews on Yelp, the years had not been kind.)  This version calls for left over baked potatoes, onions and yellow and red bell peppers. I cooked the potatoes and sauteed the onions and peppers yesterday, and then this morning fried up some bacon, then browned the potatoes in the bacon grease. I crumbled in the cooked bacon when I served them up. Yes, they were fantastic.

Pomegranate and Orange Salad
We also prepped the orange and pomegranate salad yesterday. I had Joanne separate the seeds from the pith of the pomagranate. I think this was a one-time job. She now is clued into how much effort this is, and isn't eager to do this again! The way I do this is to use a large bowl filled with water, and separate the seeds from the pith. The pith (I love saying that! Pith! Pith! Pith!!!!) is lighter than the seeds, so it floats on the top and can be easily scooped out. I saw someone on tv cut the pomegranate in half and then beat on the back side with a rolling pin, dropping the seeds into a bowl. That works in principle. But as my friend Nancy used to say, "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different." Juice spattered everywhere. And here's a clue: pomegranate juice stains. Big time. So I like my method better.

Fall Brunch Menu
Spanish Fritatta with Ranchero Sauce
Fried Potatoes ala "The Corner"
Breakfast sausages
Orange and Pomegranate Salad with Pomegranate Molasses
Assorted Breakfast Breads

No comments:

Post a Comment